Saturday, March 08, 2008

Toss the Maxells?

In 2003, just before Sarah and I moved here from Berkeley, I gave away most of my Phish and Dead tapes to an eager beaver who responded to my Craig's List ad ("FREE! Phish/Dead Collection Needs A Good Home"). But, I couldn't bear to part with some of the "gems."

Five years later, what that means is that I have an annoying stack of crappy-sounding cassettes collecting dust in a critical corner of my increasingly tiny apartment.

Should I just toss them?

I haven't listened to this stuff more than twice since we moved to NYC.

Should I take the last remnants of my care-free youth and kick them to the curb?

Can I do that?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should toss them.

If you really want to listen to them, you could spend about 30 seconds looking for recordings of the same shows online and have lovely digital recordings that don't have subheadings like "5th gen."

6:04 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I finally did it. Like chickpea says, everything is pretty much readily available on the web anyway.

I did however tuck a few of the hand drawn tape covers into a photo album.

8:55 PM  
Blogger isaacjosephson said...

It's not the music; it's the symbol!

I mean, I'm tossing out my past to make space for legos and little pink, stuffed animals.

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say pitch 'em....gotta make room for the tinker toys!

--mdj

3:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tinker toys or not, those cassettes probably wouldn't even play if you wanted to pop them in a player. I got rid of mine in my last move, and I have to say it's liberating. Those things are bulky and useless.

I'm sure you have any number of other physical mementos of your rock-n-roll youth, like all those posters and ticket stubs.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Bob Ferdman said...

don't do it. it's one thing for your mom to throw out your old baseball cards, it's another for you. storage, my friend!

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home