Monday, October 22, 2007

Response to Anu's Well-Intentioned, But Condescending Comment

Last Friday, I posted something glib about Mamaroneck being rife with zombies.

My friend Anu responded in the comments section with a head-patting note that roughly said, "you can choose whatever you like, Isaac. If you move the suburbs, it's YOUR choice."

I'm not sure whether Anu has been reading this blog regularly, but my post about Mamaroneck (and all of Westchester, actually) was not an indictment of the suburbs. It was how I felt about that particular option. And it was, by the way, vindicated and shared by Sarah after Saturday's excursion.

Conversely, we're actually quite keen on the Maplewood/Montclair (New Jersey) option. It seems to have the diversity and community we seek, the good schools, the proximity to nature, and the affordable housing. Right now, there are two things holding us back: (1) It puts us much farther away from friends and family, which means much less help with the kids; (2)It would add 30 minutes onto my already long commute.

Another option surfaced this weekend. It's a house in Windsor Terrace - a neighborhood next to Park Slope, and on the southwest side of Prospect Park. Stay tuned.

Anu, I know this is a choice. I also know it's a tough one. And I'm glad that you're here on this blog to share in my decision making process.

4 Comments:

Blogger Anu said...

I read your blog regularly via RSS. Until today.

My apologies if I seemed condescending - that wasn't my intent at all.

12:08 PM  
Blogger APS said...

I say...as long as you don't move to chatham, then you're doin' just fine...but even then...they've got a nice farmers market i hear...

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Windsor Terrace! Windsor Terrace! If only for the selfish reason that we might actually still get to hang out at the playgrounds!

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chicago is a nice option. Oak Park looks like the place to be!

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home