Friday, September 28, 2007

Why My Career Won't Move Forward

You know how the real nutjobs end up in Psychology, the sociopaths end up in politics, and the closet homosexuals end up in the Republican Party?

Along those lines, I find it ironic that my chosen profession is communication, when I suck so bad at it.

I'm not talking about constructing an article, telling a story, or articulating a business need. Those - no problem.

It's with the soft stuff - fly-by chatter, back-slapping small talk, and most of all, office politics - that I'm left feeling like I'm still in fourth grade, stuck at the table next to the cool kids, but inexplicably unable to break through unless one of them needs help with their homework.

That shortcoming, combined with my unswerving practice of walking out the door at 6:30 p.m. no matter what's going down (gotta see Asher before he goes to sleep), does not a good New York media career make.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like me. You should have gone into chemistry, too.

DCM

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But it makes for a healthy marriage, let alone life. Go buy the new Radiohead album. It's out in 7 days!
JG

2:47 AM  
Blogger shawn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:00 PM  
Blogger shawn said...

The popular guy never thinks of himself as popular, unless he is in a John Hughes film. Don't forget your previous post was about a 15 hour day, a couple months ago you had some moments of fame for taking everyone from Atlantic & Flatbush to Times Sq. on a double decker tour bus, and prior to that you took aside those 20-something turks and helped them get their thing done without upsetting management and the old guys. You're more popular than you think man.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

LOL. I am so there in the fourth grade with you.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(i'm catching up on your blog after a couple months)

I think this means you are a person of substance. That's the excuse I give myself for feeling the same way and lacking the same social skills...

xobh

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home