Thursday, May 31, 2007

Mind, Body, Soul

I've been going to the gym every morning at 5:30 a.m., getting in a quick workout, and rushing back by 6 to make sure I'm there if Asher wakes up. I'm not sure what I hope to accomplish, though thirty minutes of exercise is better than none.

Today, I got back, hopped in the shower, and ran into Asher on the way to my room to get dressed. "Put a shirt on, Daddy," he said. "You're naked and I want milk NOW!"

We gotta work on his manners.

On the other kid front, Leah's learned how to smile and coo. Small steps, but it always helps to get a little love back from that sedentary lump of pooping flesh for which you've been caring these past two months. Yes, Leah's nearly two months old, now. Time flies. Sometimes, I feel like she should be walking and talking already.

On the mind front... I got my final paper back. While I thought it was one of the worst things I'd written in a long time, and was barely held together by swiss cheese logic, my professor thought I should present it at NYU's fall conference.

Speaking of Fall, I got the booklist for my Fall class, and already have half of them on my shelves from undergrad. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In academia you read, re-read, and re-re-read.

Don't be concerned about the fact that you already read some of the texts; one hopes that you will get something new out of them because, you know, it's been a while, but also because your perspective and the context are both very different. Certainly, there are texts you would be less likely to encounter as an undergrad, but there are no hard/fast rules about these things. It mostly means that in undergrad you had good professors who probably challenged you a lot.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe it is two months already?

What's the class that you are going to be taking, that the books overlap with ones from NU?

I had a similar experience with a paper once. My last quarter at NU I took 3 credits -- one to finish my thesis in Comm Studies, one for Intro to Judaism pass/fail, and one for Storytelling in Modern Jewish Lit (a fantasticly light quarter, by the way). My last paper in Storytelling was due 2 days after my thesis, and it was probably the paper I spent the least time on in college and thought I did a terrible job. A few days later, when the wonderful professor left a message on my machine asking me to call back, I thought she was calling to give me a chance to fix the paper. Instead, she called to say that was entering it into the Jewish Studies department best paper contest. And I won (even with some money attached). It was great, but it caused me to wonder how much I overthought all the other papers I ever wrote.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home