Thursday, August 09, 2007

Classic New York Tale






Yesterday morning, a terrible storm hit New York City. All of the subways in Brooklyn went down, and tens of thousands of pissed off commuters were milling around one of the main areas (Flatbush/Atlantic) trying to figure out how to get into Manhattan for work.

After two hours, I gave up and began to trudge back home. About three blocks from my apartment, I ran into a guy driving one of those tour buses with all of the seats on the top. He was stopped at a light. I knocked on the door.

"Excuse me! Where are you going?"

"Times Square," he said.

Turns out his company yard was in Brooklyn, and he was just driving to work in the morning. So... the obvious question:

"Can I have a ride?"

At first he said no, and started to drive away when the light changed. Then, after I chased him for three blocks, he agreed and let me on. A few blocks later, we turned the corner onto Flatbush and ran into the teeming mass of Brooklynites. I shouted down from atop the bus.

"HEY! ANYONE WANNA GO TO TIMES SQUARE?!"

The resounding cheer made me feel like a rock star, and tons of people piled on. Then, as the rest of the borough walked to work, and people all over the city were bogged down in a variety of transportation issues, we all enjoyed a leisure ride, al fresco.

I'm famous - See this blog's coverage of the event!

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

You are a hero! I was thinking about you yesterday. It seems nothing can happen in New York without the whole world knowing about it.

It is nice to see a picture of you. You look good.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home