Tuesday, June 05, 2007

New Wilco

One of the happiest mysteries of the past decade is how Jeff Tweedy has evolved into a peerless experimental rock bandleader whose increasingly innovative work remains grounded in an accessible, rootsy ethos. In part, this transformation has been driven by a revolving cast of muses – musical luminaries like Jay Bennett and Jim O’Rourke who have pushed Tweedy’s Wilco to set the bar higher on each release. With Sky Blue Sky that mantle has shifted to avant garde jazz guitarist Nels Cline whose New Monastery – an audacious interpretation of Andrew Hill’s music – was one of the most interesting records of 2006.

Against such a backdrop, anything less than a once-in-a-generation album would have suffered from high expectations. And while Sky Blue Sky is still a solid release, it falls far short of its promise, instead landing near the top of that largely risk-averse, roots-and-jam-band genre known as “dad rock.”

Musically, Sky Blue Sky is a mature follow-up to the band’s 1996 release Being There. The songs are impeccable; Tweedy sprinkles in a few well-timed George Harrison licks, and percussionist Glenn Kotche, a longstanding enemy of the standard backbeat, mixes up the rhythms enough to engage listeners, but never lets them forget it’s a rock album. Still, Wilco has traversed much ground since 1996. A throwback to that earlier Wilco does not do them justice.

There are exceptions - the back-to-back “Side With The Seeds” and “Shake It Off.” The two traverse miles of musical ground in a manner not attempted since the days of early Pink Floyd or Selling England-era Genesis. Cline earns his paycheck here, adding textures that turn what would otherwise be simply solid compositions into mind-blowing psychedelic affairs.

To be sure, many of the other songs on Sky Blue Sky will be welcome additions to the Wilco canon once they’ve been worked out in the live arena. But at their core, they’re a step back both musically and lyrically.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great read, IJ. Although, I'm not sure I completely agree w/ "...step back both musically and lyrically" but each to their own.

The lyrical theme of SBS (hope and acceptance) is coehensive throughout. Most of the lyrics are direct and less cryptic than previous Wilco records - less to hind behind and for the listener to mis-interpret.

The musical styles do vary quite a bit (i.e., Being There w/ better players.) Leaving the studio trickery behind, SBS was generally played/recorded live with the band sitting in a circle w/out headphones or a mixing board - a rarity these days.

Can't think of too many bands today that still make albums.

6:12 PM  
Blogger isaacjosephson said...

It would be nice if you would reveal yourself, Anonymous. You've been a welcome and insightful contributor. I wish we knew how to address you.

I've read the same reviews and offical PR about the themes of SBS, and I'm just not feeling it. Yes, the lyrics are less cryptic, but they don't hold a candle to Tweedy's pre-YHF work that was both incisive and poetic. "Hate it Here" and the rest of those pathos-ridden pieces on SBS are simply not as good as pretty much anything off Summerteeth or Being There.

What you've got on SBS are A.M.-era lyrics, AGIB-esque composition and Being There instrumentation. Not a bad mix, but not exactly stunning either.

And while I've also got a soft spot for albums recorded live (you gotta if you're a jazz fan), don't forget that Sgt Pepper's was the product of studio wizardry, as was O.K. Computer, etc.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't miscontrue. I'm not against pulling out all the stops w/ loops, samples, layering, effects, overdubs, etc. There's a time and place for that. Summerteeth and YHF were those records.

Speaking of ST, I know you're a big fan of that one and lyrically there's some great stuff there. Interesting contrast of very dark lyrics temptered by lush (over the top) production. But in my mind, it's the production hasn't aged all that well - too dense and claustrophobic. Simply stated - Bennett never editted himself.

Perhaps it's the demographic that I now find myself in but the feel of this record speaks to me more than others. As great as those others albums are, I don't find myself reaching for them all that often.

Forgot to included initials last time. Over and out.

drk

9:21 AM  
Blogger Bob Ferdman said...

I agree with my old boss's review for the most part too. I LOVE Wilco, but there's something about this album that makes it a tier 2 album for me. I can't quite put my finger on it.

I love the blue-eyed soul of "Side with the Seeds" and "Hate it Here." Both direct, honest, rocking.

I think it's the quiter stuff that throws me off. Unlike most reviews I've read, I don't think this is a full on return to "Being There" type record. They kind of go halfway there but not the whole way. And, maybe that's why it leaves me kind of confused. I'm wanting more of that, but getting sidetracked by the fuzz-out jams of "Impossible Germany," etc.

The album reminds me a little bit of Lennon's "Double Fantasy," in that some of the songs are real charming in their domestic accpetance-bliss kind of way. "Hate it Here" could be "Clean Up Time." The laize-fare (sp?) acceptance, philosphical state of mind of "Either Way" reminds me of the same kind of reality Lennon came to in "Watching the Wheels." (The craziness is over for now, now we're kind of calm and enjoying we're we are.)

And, like I find myself skipping through Yoko's songs on that album, I find myself skipping through the slow, quiet numbers on SBS.

I also, thnk "That's the Thanks I Get" woulda fit like a natural on this album. I feel like this coulda been Tweedy's soul album, but he didn't go all the away. Now all the critics are just on the bandwagon, not giving honest reviews.

This is a second-tier Wilco album (which is still better than most).

Anyways..

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home