Saturday, June 17, 2006

Pressing CD Collection Question

Would you file David Bowie narrating Peter & the Wolf under:

  • Prokofiev in the Classical section
  • Bowie in Pop
  • Bowie in Children’s

    Someone inexplicably suggested that I file it in all three places to catch walk-by traffic. Of course, the Josephson household only has one of these CD’s, and our walk-by traffic has looked for it in all three places at various times. Actually, there’s a forth place, but that’s just because Asher can’t reach past the Ws in Pop.

    Help!
  • 11 Comments:

    Blogger Matt said...

    Bowie is incidental. Prokofiev in the Classical section.

    10:29 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    DEFINITELY filed under Prokofiev. No question.

    1:07 PM  
    Blogger Anu said...

    Prokofiev.

    I have this on vinyl.

    3:58 PM  
    Blogger G.B. said...

    agree.

    4:19 PM  
    Blogger isaacjosephson said...

    The lady of the house has requested that it be filed under Bowie - Children's, since that's the context in which it would most likely fall. She's clearly more of a pragmatist than the rest of us, here.

    4:40 PM  
    Blogger Shannon said...

    I was going to suggest Bowie in Children's as well for the same reason.

    5:38 PM  
    Blogger isaacjosephson said...

    You mock me, but I give these matters serious consideration. This one is almost as bad as the agony I went through trying to decide whether to file Mancini under pop or jazz (we settled on pop).

    10:53 PM  
    Blogger Matt said...

    Mancini should go under soundtracks.

    10:06 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My difficulties come with classical cds. If it's a cd with a single composer, it clearly should be filed under composer. But what if it's a single artist playing pieces from multiple composers? Then you end up filing by artist instead of compser, which I'm not really in favor of. Or an orchestral disc -- conductor or orchestra name? Then what? These problems are dizzying and neverending.

    Of course, I haven't had the space for a cd shelf in many years, so I don't have to make these decisions anymore.

    12:56 PM  
    Blogger isaacjosephson said...

    I have the same problem with Classical. Though, my Classical collection is only about 50 CD's, so it's more a problem of principle than practice. That said, I do often forget that I have that one Mendelssohn concerto because it's filed under the violinist Maxim Vengerov.

    1:46 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Clearly, the solution is either (a) a very good database; or (b) owning multiple copies of the same disc....... Ah, decisions.

    5:14 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home