Tuesday, June 13, 2006

New Release Tuesday

I've got a backlog of new releases to go through before I even get to this week's crop. An hour into this morning's listening session, here are my thoughts:

The Walkmen (A Hundred Miles Off) - What's up with the Dylan imitation? I guess it was always there, but hiding behind layered guitars. Not a good idea to bring the vocals up, guys.

Jackie Greene (American Myth) - If Jack Johnson had a soul, he'd be Jackie Greene. And I must be getting old, because I like it.

Slaid Cleaves (Unsung) - Would that he had taken the advice of his own title.

Portastatic (Original Film Score For Who Loves The Sun) - Interesting, pastoral compositions from indie pop icon Mac McCaughan (Superchunk). More John Adams (the 20th cent. composer, not the founding father) than Merge Records. "Nice" and "harmless" are probably the most appropriate adjectives here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Holiday said...

Here's some more Jackie Greene stuff, if you want it: StreamJackieGreene.com

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home