Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Should I stick with my cable modem, or should I switch to DSL?

- The cable modem goes through weeks at a time where it's out, leaving me with zero internet access. That happens about once every six months, usually at a critical time where I end up frantically running around the neighborhood trying to borrow a wireless signal at 11:30pm.

- The cable modem is $15 more expensive.

- The cable modem signal also provides limited cable tv, at no additional charge. I get all the networks, plus TBS, C-SPAN and Cinemax.

- Word has it that DSL service is just as intermittent.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

DSL= Slow
Cable Modem=Fast
DSL=Consistant
Cable Modem=intermitant
DSL Modem=Telephone
Cable Modem=Cable

I have had both in my time....Cable in a good area beats out DSL everytime. But in a bad area, at least with DSL it will always be there when you need it. If you not planning to start downloading software progams the size of a gig or more don't worry and get the DSL...You dont like TV anyway. Plus the TV you need is on online anyway...You can watch CSPAN from your DESK!

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How old is the phone wiring in your building? We had nightly outages with our DSL, and both Earthlink and SBC blamed the (poor) quality of the wiring in our 1906 building. We've never had a problem with our cable (knock on wood), and it's way faster. Now that we live in a slightly newer building, I've considered switching to save some $, but then again, it ain't broke.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home