Wednesday, May 03, 2006

It Says Here

I'm listening to Brewing Up With Billy Bragg, watching my colleagues trickle into work, and gulping down my second cup of coffee. Yep, I'm back on the caffeine.

My first choice this morning was the new Neil Young protest record, but it seemed kinda stupid after three songs, so I cut over to the real thing. It's been a while, Billy. Sorry that you're relevant again.

I flew Song Airlines out to Seattle yesterday, and caught some of the Fox News coverage of the immigrant protests on my little in-seat television. Choice banners across the bottom of the screen included, "Day Without Immigrants - Economic Terrorism?" and "Immigrants Choose Communist Holiday (May Day) To Make Their Stand."

Communists and Terrorists. And Bears Oh My!

On a semi-related note, I just watched an abbreviated version of Colbert's White House Press Dinner speech. All I can say is WOW! You can be assured that whomever booked him for that gig had no idea. Things like that happen once in a lifetime.

The Seattle trip was in a word, weird. I was given the impression by my sales guy that we were going to talk to a prospective client who was far enough along that they were just deciding which level of subscription to take. Turns out that wasn't the case, and I ended up having to make what amounted to a raw sales pitch to a good friend of mine on the other side of the table. To date, I'd avoided discussing business with this friend because, well, I hate doing that with friends. And to make an already ugly situation worse, it sounds like I'll have to engage another good friend at that company if I want this thing to move forward.

It's times like these that I wish I could go back to writing full-time, or disappear into academia.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

I can't imagine a job in sales of any type. who knows, maybe you'll be writing full time sooner than you think.

I had not seen that Colbert Tape. I don't think I would have believed it. Very good stuff!

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home