Sunday, December 11, 2005

I'm sitting in the Tea Lounge (local coffeehouse) working on a presentation for the RIAA and slamming down soy mochas (how very...). Unfortunately, I forgot to add the "decaf" part of the order to the last two, and now I'm bouncing off the walls. In front of me, children are running back and forth (tea lounge is a family friendly joint), and above, a bad jam band is blaring out of the speakers.

Hopefully, I'll be able to bang through this presentation in a few hours, so that I can spend the rest of the day with Sarah and Asher.

Yesterday, the three of us went to a holiday party hosted by someone in Sarah's mom's group. This is my scene now: a dozen babies crawling around the floor, pulling each other's hair, stealing each other's toys, and taking turns crying due to hunger, exhaustion, or general frustration at some perceived slight. The parents are all right - one's an anthropologist, two are in television production, a couple are teachers, and one's going to school for a master's in energy management/renewable sources. Baby talk (that's talk OF babies, not gaa gaa goo goo) only accounted for about half the discussions, which ain't bad.

Last night, Sarah and I went to a party for a friend whose documentary on BP (the energy company) was nominated for an Emmy. The party was catered (poached fish, etc.), and they had a screening after dinner. Sounds pretentious, but it was actually rather nice.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to discount the rest of your post, but here's my question -- since when have you felt the need to qualify jam bands as bad? [Sorry, Ted, if you're reading this.]
-cp

1:47 AM  
Blogger isaacjosephson said...

Bold, Chickpea. So bold.

Truth is, I've never been a big fan of jam bands in general. In my day (which lasted a few years), I was raving mad for the Grateful Dead and Phish, appreciated moe., and thought one or two things that String Cheese Incident did were interesting. Beyond that, the armies of jammers were compelling to me only in that they served as a doorway for new listeners into jazz. For the most part, all those 2nd/3rd/4th tier bands annoyed me.

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you misunderstood my boldness (or maybe not?)... I was implying that there was no need to qualify them as bad, since that was inherent in their existence [hence the apology to Ted. Sorry again, Ted]. I think you know of my current weakness for YMSB and my prior detour through Phish, but that's pretty much the extent of it for me.

We're on the same page on this one. Doesn't happen often, but here it is. :)

-cp

12:07 PM  
Blogger Scott Hess said...

Funny, I thought the same basic thing when I read the post: You mean there are *good* jam bands?

(Okay, I'll admit I'm a sucker for a little Scarlet/Fire action now and again. And I have been known to sing along to "Pride of Chickamauga." But other than that...)

10:38 AM  
Blogger Luke Warmwater said...

Listen to Umphrey's McGee. Terrible name. Great jam band, in the "classic" jam band mold, with two guitars, drums, keys, bass and percussion. Don't be afraid... - TK

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home