Thursday, July 07, 2005

Am I going to be living in Dallas or Houston?!

New York City and developer Bruce Ratner have been angling to build a basketball stadium and housing/office complex roughly a mile from my home in Brooklyn. I'd never thought too much about it, except to be philosophically opposed to it and to once in a while wonder what it would mean for traffic in the area.

Then, I read a New York Times article that described the plan in detail. Choice quote:

With 17 buildings, many of them soaring roughly 40 to 50 stories, the project would forever transform Brooklyn and its often-intimate landscape, creating a dense urban skyline reminiscent of Houston or Dallas.

Here's an artist's rendering of the complex:



Holy cow! This is terrible! I need to figure out what I can do about this.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

unfortunately, unless you can prove that eminant domain is being used illegally, I don't know how much you can do. It does suck. You're also dealing with the MTA which apparently doesn't have to live by any rules other than their own. If I remember correctly, they're having another auction for the land. We remember what happened during their last auction. They took the 3rd highest bid (auction???)

1:48 PM  
Blogger isaacjosephson said...

Yeah... but somehow the west side stadium got stopped. How can we make the same thing happen?

Spent a few minutes this morning writing emails to my city/state reps and signing up for local community advocacy groups...

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny thing is, if you think about it, the west side stadium really didn't get stopped, it got transformed. Both the Yankees and the Mets are getting new stadiums. While the individual teams are footing much of the cost, us wonderfully generous tax payers are paying a huge chunk of it as well. About the same amount (I believe) that we would have had to pay for the west side stadium.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home