Thursday, July 20, 2006

The new Golden Smog record came out this week.

I'm listening to it for the first time, and am not prepared to make any value judgements, yet. But it does feel like seeing an old friend, again.

One of my fondest memories from Chicago in the late Nineties is seeing the last Golden Smog tour at Metro. We were set up in the corner of the balcony, webcasting the show for Rollingstone.com. My friend Kristen was with us (she was my perpetual plus one), sucking down beers and dancing on the radiator.

The band was clearly psyched to be there. For them, it was a coming home after a long tour. Jeff Tweedy's parents made the trip up from Bellville for the show, and his toddler son wandered on stage a couple times. Gary, Mark, Dan and the rest of the Minneapolis contingent had enough friends and family there to make it feel like a homecoming for them, too.

I still have a copy of the show, if anyone wants it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy smoke, as soon as I saw "Golden Smog" in the first line of your post, I thought of that concert---good times, my friend, good times. I'll take a copy of that show if it's no trouble, and a piece of pecan pie.

Ah, nostalgia!

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home