Friday, January 06, 2006

"What, no 2 a.m. post?"

Nope. The ambien worked like a dream (thanks, Dan). I slept from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. - a whole seven hours!!

Now, let's leave this sleep topic behind, hopefully for good, and move on to more entertaining things... like work!

The company that currently employs me has an interesting culture. First, people are pretty sensitive - especially relative to my previous jobs. Second, if they feel you've slighted them in any way, the accepted response is to tell on you to your boss.

Now, as you can imagine, this has presented a challenge to me in particular. In the past three months, I've made it a priority to be all kinds of nice to everyone in every meeting, all the time. Y'all wouldn't recognize me.

Today, it was suggested that I was still being a little rough with people in email. The recommendation? Emoticons! That's right folks, apparently smiley faces, frown faces, and so on are encouraged in this here workplace.

Yay :) :) :) !!!! :)

:(

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is in insane.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After Mrs. Malkin's (6th grade english) strong and continued admonitions against exclamation marks in writing (no more than one in a paragraph), I never used them again....

... until I worked in an office where they were practically required. Otherwise, how would we all know how excited everyone else was about things? I mean, aren't we all happy to work at this lovely venerable institution and be publicly humiliated on a daily basis?

Heck, yes!!!

It's been several years since I left that job and I'm still barely able to write email without them.

You always knew I had an inner cheerleader, didn't you?

You'll never be the same again, Isaac.

Enjoy. ;)
cp

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:PPPP



ksp

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

does this company take itself seriously? emoticons? the highest degree of artifice. perhaps they like to kid themselves. dont stoop isaac. better to be obnoxious and get told on to your boss ;-)

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home