Friday, November 18, 2005

Soul Killing Points

Ten years ago, I quit what was my first post-college job as a reaction to what I thought were several unfair and morally suspect moves made by the company's management. Unfortunately, I lept from the proverbial frying pan into the fire - That second post-college job was rife with a management that was not only morally suspect, but also psychologically abusive and borderline criminal in its operation.

What I learned from that first leap was that life isn't fair, and you have no choice but to put up with it. A tough lesson, to be sure. And as I get older, it doesn't get easier. A decade down the line, I'm now part of that management echelon, and if anything, I've found that these "life isn't fair" lessons are even more harsh. In attempt to claw my way back to sanity, I've creating the Soul Points Game.

There are several ways you can earn soul saving points, though those are unique to each person. They could be eliciting a laugh from your child, going for a run, reading a good book, having great sex, and so on.

Below is the point system I've developed so far for earning soul KILLING points. For what it's worth, I've earned 65 of these today, and it's only 3pm. Let's see if I can win an equal number of soul saving points over the weekend...

Soul Killing Points:
5 points - Being forced do something you know is not right in service of the bottom line
10 points - Being forced to do something you know is not right in service of corporate processes
25 points - Harming another employee in the process

10 points - Covering for someone who does not know how to do their job
15 points - Doing this repeatedly

5 points - Working with someone who has twice your salary, half of your business acumen and one-third of your utility
5 points - Every hour you have to spend attempting to "help them understand."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home