Thursday, September 01, 2005

Around 9am, I switched over to the new Bob Dylan CD No Direction Home: Bootleg Volume 7 (Movie Soundtrack).

I'm sure the fact that I'm emotionally raw thanks to serious overworking has something to do with this, but my heart is just breaking with joy and wonder while I listen to song after song.

The CD is composed of outtakes and live versions of the early stuff - everything from "This Land is Your Land," and "Song To Woody," up through an alternate cut of "Visions of Johanna" with its shatteringly beautiful depiction of the emotional result of employing the "love the one you're with" philosophy set against the backdrop of a grubby 1960s West Village flat.

Grouped together the way they are, these songs very effectively convey Dylan's rapid ascension to the stratosphere of musicianship in terms of songwriting, phrasing, and musicianship. Really, really amazing stuff.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for this movie to come out. I just finished reading "Wanted Man" last night. I'd never seen it before but found it in a bookstore in Portland a few weeks ago. It's a collection of interviews and stories with and by people who've had encounters or relationships with Bob. From the coffee shop days to the Saved tour to the Oh Mercy Sessions. Pretty great stuff.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it''s fucking gorgeous.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home