Monday, August 22, 2005

Family Business

Last night I had the WEIRDEST dream:

I had this indie rock friend who was getting engaged. He happened upon me in a public market (that looked like a cross between Union Square and the zocalo in Oaxaca, Mexico) and was carrying a fistful of tiny, tiny diamonds - less than 1/4 carat each - that someone had given him to choose from. Almost nonchalantly, he asked me which one he should buy, noting that he only had $800.

Just as I was telling my friend that I had no clue, my brother-in-law David randomly walked by.

David is a diamond dealer in real-life. He works with my father-in-law on 47th street.

In my dream, I asked my friend to show David the fistful of tiny diamonds. David started laughing uncontrollably because to him, all of these diamonds were so inconsequential.

He told my friend to wait there, and took me and the diamonds through this crazy underground maze to his office where a bunch of Hasids were lounging around. David showed them the diamonds, and they all laughed hysterically. One took out cough drops and said they were worth more than the fistful of diamonds.

Feeling slightly out-of-place, I left David's office, took the diamonds back to my indie rock friend, and recommended one, pretending like the recommendation came from David. My friend thanked me, pulled an "Anthony Weiner For Mayor" t-shirt with a ringed collar out of his bag, and gave it to me.

Update: Out of curiosity, I just checked BlueNile.com and there are more than 1,000 diamonds between 0.25 and .44 carats, of decent cut, clarity, etc... for less than $800.

Update 2: My dream reflects my own insecurities - not my brother-in-law's personality. David's a really nice guy who would never laugh derisively at anything, much less something like a guy who can't spend a ton of money on an engagement diamond.

Update 3: Maybe, I should go into the diamond business. You can't beat the hours, the commute or the pay. It's probably more fulfilling than my current line of work.

Update 4: Nah. Then, I couldn't write off my monthly Rhapsody subscription. What's more, I'd probably have to start keeping kosher and prey three times a day. I also think I'd have to wear a tie. That's the real goocher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home