Saturday, April 30, 2005

Remember when you got your first real job out of college, and you lamented the lack of free time you had, relative to those undergrad years? It was a pretty fundamental leap from limited responsibility/limited rules to working what was sometimes an eleven-hour day, five days a week.

One year, you're cramming for the odd midterm, or pulling the occasional all-nighter on a twenty-page paper, but mostly hanging out with your friends, smoking pot on the front porch with the neighbors, and dreaming up ways to make the world a better place when you weren't dreaming up ways to get into your neighbor's pants.

The next year... you work. Most of the time.

Having a child is, I think, the same order of magnitude loss of free time. Another fundamental leap. I knew intellectually it was coming, but I don't think I was emotionally prepared for it.

Sometimes, I'm at the point where my job is the break. Work is the refreshing time-out from the enormous weight of taking responsibility for Asher's health and happiness. I don't know how Sarah does this all day, every day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott Hess said...

I hear you. The jump from one to two (kids) is equally confounding and jarring. Oy vey.

10:34 AM  
Blogger isaacjosephson said...

Yeah, word has it, two kids are four times as hard. I'm certainly not looking forward to that, right now.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home